This section doesn’t currently include any content. Add content to this section using the sidebar.

Image caption appears here

Add your deal, information or promotional text

Animal Poison Prevention Awareness: How To Keep Your Pet Safe

Do you know how to spot the signs that your dog or pets have ingested something toxic or have been poisoned? Are you familiar with the most common things around your home and yard that put your dog and pets at risk? Do you know what to do and how to help them if they exhibit symptoms? A little awareness goes a long way to preventing life-threatening emergencies. 

While accidents do happen, by far the best method of keeping pets safe from poisoning is prevention.

Remember what is safe for humans isn’t always safe for our dogs and pets.  A little prevention and knowledge can save lives and keep your pups safe. 

Read on to learn more about how to reduce our consumption.

Senior dog looking at the camera next to some chocolate chunks lying on the floor


  • Over-the-Counter Medications such as NSAIDs, aspirin, acetaminophen, or human vitamins.
  • Human prescription medications.
  • Food: Xylitol (found in many candies and peanut butters), grapes, raisins, onions, garlic, macadamia nuts, and protein bars are the most common.
  • Chocolate.
  • Bouquets and plants, bulbs, blue green algae.
  • Household items like paint, glue, cleaning, and beauty products 
  • Rodenticides
  • Veterinary Products: Flavored medications & misread labels are a big reason pets run into trouble with veterinary products. Also, tasty chewable supplements and medications can be enticing - keep containers out of paws' reach!
  • Insecticides 
  • Garden Products: Fertilizer, bone meal & and compost are garden products many dogs find irresistible

Now that you have a better idea of the dangers of these common household items take a look around your home, both inside and out, and identify any potential dangers for your pet. Secure chemicals in a location your pets can’t access and keep your medicines secure.

Dispose of harmful foods or keep them out of your pet’s reach and remind your guests not to feed your pet table scraps. Teach your family, especially your kids, which foods can be dangerous for your pup.

Explore your yard for poisonous plants and bulbs, and check your ponds, lakes, or water sources for potentially toxic algae. If you aren’t sure, contact your veterinarian to confirm.

Protecting our pets takes more than regular visits to the veterinarian. It includes knowing what can make them ill or worse, kill them.

Young woman searching for pet poisoning prevention information on her mobile phone, sitting next to her senior dog who regularly takes his WagWorthy Naturals Hip and Joint Supplement that helps prevent hip displaysia


    Pet poisonings can be scary. Taking the right action quickly can make a big difference. Firstly, if you suspect your pet has been poisoned, call your nearest emergency veterinarian immediately and follow their instructions.

    When you call, the vet may instruct you to give your pet a counteractive substance, fluids to dilute the poison, or help it pass through the system or medicine. They may also instruct you to induce vomiting or bring your pet to the pet emergency room for treatment immediately. 

    The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) is another great resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance you can call their pet poison helpline (888) 426-4435 and speak to someone live about your issue. We hope none of us ever need it, but it's a critical lifeline if we do! (A $65 consultation fee may apply.) 

    The ASPCA has an Animal Poison Control Center App that you can download onto your phone for free. It's a great reference for quickly identifying over 300 potential everyday hazards & provides crucial information about the severity of the poison and critical next steps. It also enables one-touch speed-dialing to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.  

    Several organizations such as the ASPCA and the Pet Poison Helpline work tirelessly to raise awareness about protecting our vulnerable and unknowing pets from common household items that are highly poisonous and dangerous to them.

    Senior dog lying on the couch that takes WagWorthy Naturals Hip and Joint Supplement to reduce inflammation, and enhance mobility


    First of all, pet-proof your home and immediate surroundings.  It can happen to even the best pet parents—you turned around for just one second (or accidentally leave medication or chocolate on the counter) and your pet ingested a potentially harmful or fatal pet poison, so pay extra attention and ensure to keep unsafe items out of paw’s reach.

    You can even check local pet-friendly places and playgrounds for plants and other things harmful to your pets. If you see any potential poisons stay away, and warn others to do the same. 

    Dispose of harmful food or keep them out of your pet’s reach and remind your guests that you don’t feed your pet table scraps. Teach your family, especially your kids, which foods can be dangerous for your pup.

    Always keep garbage out of a pet’s reach, as rotting food contains molds or bacteria that could cause food poisoning.

    It’s always a good idea to make a first aid kit for your pet and keep your vet’s contact information handy in case of such emergencies.

    Share your pet care knowledge and spread the word about pet poisons to all the pet owners you know to ensure their pet is safe from possible danger. Animal poison prevention awareness can save your pet's life.

    Leave a comment (all fields required)

    Comments will be approved before showing up.